Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Recent fave recipe: "Soba Noodles Verde"

I think it's safe to say that Spring is here. I have packed up my boots and am digging around for a lighter jacket. Phew. It's about time, although I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime, while I have had a minute to spare I have also been enjoying "Springy dishes" at meal time. Unfortunately tonight was not one of those nights--just eating a piece of toast right now (yikes), but that is not the point. The point is there is this dish that is pretty dece that I wanted to share with you.

The main reason why this meal is "springy" is because of it's green colors (unfortunately not because of the veggies--they don't come into season in MN until May/June). Anyway, it's green and therefore springy, hence it's name Soba Noodles VERDE. Which reminds me, for you Spanish speakers out there, I'm sorry it is incorrect Spanglish, that's what the woman who gave me the recipe called it and I kinda like the ring of it. So lo siento, call it what you like and I hope you like it anyway :)

Two key things to know before you start:

1) Do not overcook the Soba Noodles--if you have ever worked with buckwheat noodles before you will know they aren't tasty if they are overcooked (I think anyway), so be sure to keep your eye on them and taste test them--al dente is best. For me they usually get done around 4 minutes but I also boil with the cover on, so just use your best judgment, its better undercooked than overcooked in my opinion.

2) This meal is very quick to prepare except for the dressing which is made of freshly chopped herbs, which can go quickly if you skip the thyme (because you have to get all those little leaves off the stem), but I personally like the flavor of fresh thyme in it so I add about an extra 20-30 minutes just to get a lot of thyme in the mix--it's therapeutic. If you think that sounds crazy just substitute the fresh thyme for dried thyme and you'll speed right through the prep.

Okay, the rest is easy.

Soba Noodles Verde


Dressing: 1/2 cup olive oil (marinade/dressing), 1 lemon juiced and zested, 3 garlic cloves, 1 cup of fresh, chopped herbs--I use basil, thyme, chives and parsley and put in maybe closer to 1.5 cups of herbs but you can be creative here, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix 'em up, set aside.

Chop into bite size, 1 cup each of: broccoli, zucchini (trust me it's good), and snap peas/snowpeas. Heat medium skillet of olive oil and saute the zucchini for 2 minutes, add the broccoli and then snap peas/snowpeas. Don't overcook, they should be a little crunchy. Set aside.

Boil water and add one package of soba noodles (12 oz) and follow directions on the package but remember not to overcook.

When noodles are done boiling place in colander and run cold water over them to ensure they stop cooking quickly.

In a large mixing bowl, mix the noodles, veggies and dressing. Add 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 4.

Sorry I do not have a picture to share...next time I make it I will take one.

Happy cooking and eating!

No comments: