Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Meet your veggie/fruit goals: Some more tips

This will be my final post on veggies and fruits for awhile, because honestly I'm getting a bit burnt out on the topic. Don't get me wrong, I have been incorporating this process into my life through ingestion, reading of materials, thinking about it all and then online discussion/writing (here), so needless to say I am ready to consider topics other than greens for a bit. I also have some big projects due this week and then will have at least one project due every week until the end of the semester so I am trying to relieve myself of my blogging duties. Although as I mentioned before I really think the blogging is for me more than anyone (as much as I love the .2 people who read this thing):) so who knows, maybe I will be on here a lot to just have some balance in my life.

Don't worry, I still love vegetables and will certainly continue to pay homage to them because they are a big part of my life, I mean heck they obviously are because I am sitting here writing about them again. So with that said I will leave you with five more considerations. Please if you have more hints or ideas related to making veggies and fruits a bigger part of your life, do share! We are all literally starving for this kind of wisdom!

1) Buy lots of fruits and veggies when you shop so that you have plenty of choices in the house. Seems like a no brainer, but actually try this, and don't let the food go to waste.

2)Separate your veggies into those that go bad quickly and those that do not so that you can be sure to use them. If you are having trouble finishing them quick enough, freeze them for later.

3) Keep a bowl of cut up veggies in your fridge for quick snacking. This is a good one. How many of you will eat veggies from a pre-cut tray, but won't put in the time to cut them up yourself. Take a step back in the processing, it will save you money and it will help your health tremendously!

4) If you need a snack for the day pack a piece of fruit or a veggie. People might have thought I was weird, but when cucumbers were good this summer from the farmer's market I would actually just bring a whole cucumber to work and eat it like a banana. Was very refreshing, gave me energy and made my skin clearer.

5) Add extra veggies to whatever dish you are making. For example if you are making spaghetti add some broccoli or zucchini to it. If you are eating a frozen dinner, add veggies to it.

That's all I have for now.

No comments: